From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Leftover gingerbread gets a second life in these bread pudding-like desserts.
- 3 cups cubed leftover gingerbread, (1/4 recipe Old-Fashioned Gingerbread, recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, plus 2 tablespoons julienned crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath.
- Spread gingerbread cubes on prepared baking sheet and bake until toasted, 25 to 30 minutes. Divide among six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until puddings are set, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, dust puddings with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with julienned crystallized ginger. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins
Per serving: 259 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- November/December 1998