From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Leftover gingerbread gets a second life in these bread pudding-like desserts.
- 3 cups cubed leftover gingerbread, (1/4 recipe Old-Fashioned Gingerbread, recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, plus 2 tablespoons julienned crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath.
- Spread gingerbread cubes on prepared baking sheet and bake until toasted, 25 to 30 minutes. Divide among six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until puddings are set, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, dust puddings with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with julienned crystallized ginger. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins
Per serving: 259 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- November/December 1998