From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Leftover gingerbread gets a second life in these bread pudding-like desserts.
- 3 cups cubed leftover gingerbread, (1/4 recipe Old-Fashioned Gingerbread, recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger, plus 2 tablespoons julienned crystallized ginger
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Put a kettle of water on to heat for a water bath.
- Spread gingerbread cubes on prepared baking sheet and bake until toasted, 25 to 30 minutes. Divide among six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins. Sprinkle with chopped crystallized ginger.
- Whisk eggs and sugar in a large bowl until blended. Whisk in milk and vanilla. Divide mixture among prepared ramekins and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Place ramekins in a shallow roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake until puddings are set, 40 to 50 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Before serving, dust puddings with confectioners’ sugar and garnish with julienned crystallized ginger. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: six 6-ounce (3/4-cup) ramekins
Per serving: 259 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 85 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 7 g protein; 1 g fiber; 237 mg sodium; 257 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (16% daily value), Selenium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- November/December 1998