From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Dates add a sweet counterpoint to these spicy gingerbread cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates, divided
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Soak 1/2 cup dates in hot water in a small bowl for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Stir in remaining 1 cup dates. Set aside.
- Puree soaked dates with their liquid in a food processor until smooth. Add eggs, brown sugar, molasses and oil; process until creamy. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Separate the dough into 5 equal pieces and divide between prepared baking sheets. With dampened hands, form each piece into a 1 1/2-by-13-inch log. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake logs, 1 sheet at a time, until golden brown and firm, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen logs with a metal spatula and slide onto rack to cool completely. Cut each log into 1-inch slices. Store in an airtight container.
Per cookie: 80 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998