From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Dates add a sweet counterpoint to these spicy gingerbread cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates, divided
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Soak 1/2 cup dates in hot water in a small bowl for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Stir in remaining 1 cup dates. Set aside.
- Puree soaked dates with their liquid in a food processor until smooth. Add eggs, brown sugar, molasses and oil; process until creamy. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Separate the dough into 5 equal pieces and divide between prepared baking sheets. With dampened hands, form each piece into a 1 1/2-by-13-inch log. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake logs, 1 sheet at a time, until golden brown and firm, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen logs with a metal spatula and slide onto rack to cool completely. Cut each log into 1-inch slices. Store in an airtight container.
Per cookie: 80 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998