From EatingWell: November/December 1998
Dates add a sweet counterpoint to these spicy gingerbread cookies.
- 1 1/2 cups chopped dates, divided
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Soak 1/2 cup dates in hot water in a small bowl for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt in a large bowl. Stir in remaining 1 cup dates. Set aside.
- Puree soaked dates with their liquid in a food processor until smooth. Add eggs, brown sugar, molasses and oil; process until creamy. Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients and stir until just combined. (Do not overmix.)
- Separate the dough into 5 equal pieces and divide between prepared baking sheets. With dampened hands, form each piece into a 1 1/2-by-13-inch log. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake logs, 1 sheet at a time, until golden brown and firm, about 25 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Loosen logs with a metal spatula and slide onto rack to cool completely. Cut each log into 1-inch slices. Store in an airtight container.
Per cookie: 80 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 7 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 68 mg sodium; 61 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1998