Gingerbread Coffeecake Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Spicy gingerbread muffins are topped with streusel in these irresistible muffins.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit puree fat replacement, or prune pie filling (Lekvar)
- 3/4 cup dark molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To make streusel: Blend 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and blend until crumbly.
- To make muffin batter: Whisk egg, egg white and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add fruit puree fat replacement (or Lekvar), molasses, yogurt, 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; whisk until blended. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour, ground ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 302 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 487 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (26% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997