Gingerbread Coffeecake Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Spicy gingerbread muffins are topped with streusel in these irresistible muffins.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit puree fat replacement, or prune pie filling (Lekvar)
- 3/4 cup dark molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To make streusel: Blend 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and blend until crumbly.
- To make muffin batter: Whisk egg, egg white and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add fruit puree fat replacement (or Lekvar), molasses, yogurt, 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; whisk until blended. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour, ground ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 302 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 487 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (26% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997