Gingerbread Coffeecake Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Spicy gingerbread muffins are topped with streusel in these irresistible muffins.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit puree fat replacement, or prune pie filling (Lekvar)
- 3/4 cup dark molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To make streusel: Blend 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and blend until crumbly.
- To make muffin batter: Whisk egg, egg white and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add fruit puree fat replacement (or Lekvar), molasses, yogurt, 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; whisk until blended. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour, ground ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 302 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 487 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (26% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997