Gingerbread Coffeecake Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Spicy gingerbread muffins are topped with streusel in these irresistible muffins.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit puree fat replacement, or prune pie filling (Lekvar)
- 3/4 cup dark molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To make streusel: Blend 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and blend until crumbly.
- To make muffin batter: Whisk egg, egg white and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add fruit puree fat replacement (or Lekvar), molasses, yogurt, 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; whisk until blended. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour, ground ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 302 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 487 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (26% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997