Gingerbread Coffeecake Muffins
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Spicy gingerbread muffins are topped with streusel in these irresistible muffins.
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 cup fruit puree fat replacement, or prune pie filling (Lekvar)
- 3/4 cup dark molasses, (not blackstrap)
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons minced crystallized ginger
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To make streusel: Blend 1/4 cup flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 tablespoon crystallized ginger and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon together in a small bowl. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon oil and blend until crumbly.
- To make muffin batter: Whisk egg, egg white and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Add fruit puree fat replacement (or Lekvar), molasses, yogurt, 1/4 cup oil and 3 tablespoons crystallized ginger; whisk until blended. Whisk 2 1/4 cups flour, ground ginger, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, cloves, pepper, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle with the streusel. Bake until tops spring back when touched lightly, 20 to 25 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool.
Per serving: 302 calories; 7 g fat (1 g sat, 4 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 59 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 1 g fiber; 254 mg sodium; 487 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (26% daily value), Folate (20% dv), Selenium (16% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997