Gingerbread-Coconut Thumbprint Cookies with Blueberry Jam
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
This healthy thumbprint cookie recipe has all the flavors of a traditional gingerbread cookie: cinnamon, ginger, cloves and molasses. These soft and chewy gingerbread cookies are decorated with coconut and filled with blueberry jam, but we also like them filled with raspberry or apricot preserves.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour (see Tip)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil or corn oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses (not blackstrap)
- 1 large egg
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup blueberry jam or preserves
- Position a rack in middle of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet(s) with parchment paper.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, cloves and salt in a medium bowl. Beat oil, butter, brown sugar, molasses, egg and orange zest in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer on low speed until well blended.
- With the mixer on low speed, then medium speed, beat about half the flour mixture into the wet ingredients until incorporated. Beat in the remaining flour mixture until just incorporated. Let the dough stand for 5 minutes. It should be somewhat firm, but not at all dry. If it seems overly sticky, stir in up to 2 additional tablespoons of all-purpose flour.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Roll each quarter into a 9-inch “log.” Slice the log into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball. Place coconut on a small plate. Roll each ball in the coconut, pressing as needed to help it adhere. Place about 1 1/2 inches apart on a prepared baking sheet. Press a well into the center of each cookie with a thumb. Fill with about 1/2 teaspoon jam.
- Bake the cookies on the center rack, one pan at a time, until firm when pressed near the edge, 8 to 12 minutes. Let stand for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to cool to room temperature.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the cookie dough for up to 1 day. Store baked cookies airtight in a single layer for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Tip: White whole-wheat flour is made from a special variety of white wheat that is lighter in color and flavor but has the same nutritional properties as regular whole-wheat flour. It is available at large supermarkets and natural-foods stores and online at bobsredmill.com or kingarthurflour.com. Store it in the freezer.
Per cookie: 90 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 14 g carbohydrates; 6 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 74 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, bars & cookies
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- November/December 2013