From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This simple ice has a vivid, lively flavor and makes a spirited palate cleanser between courses as well as an invigorating dessert. Use more or less ginger to vary the effect. Strain for smoother texture, less fire. It's also delicious with fresh blueberries on the side.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons peeled, minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Combine sugar, ginger, lemon zest and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Cool. Stir in lemon juice.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice-cream maker, following manufacturer’s directions. Break into chunks and whirl in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a chilled airtight container and return to the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until firm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 4 days. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 165 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 28 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- May/June 1991