From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This simple ice has a vivid, lively flavor and makes a spirited palate cleanser between courses as well as an invigorating dessert. Use more or less ginger to vary the effect. Strain for smoother texture, less fire. It's also delicious with fresh blueberries on the side.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons peeled, minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 cups water
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- Combine sugar, ginger, lemon zest and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Boil, uncovered, over medium heat for 10 minutes. Cool. Stir in lemon juice.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice-cream maker, following manufacturer’s directions. Break into chunks and whirl in a food processor until smooth. Transfer to a chilled airtight container and return to the freezer for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until firm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze for up to 4 days. Let soften slightly in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 165 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 50 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 5 mg sodium; 28 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- May/June 1991