Ginger Poached Apricots
From EatingWell: May/June 2014
In this healthy fresh apricot recipe, the summery stone fruit is poached in a lightly sweet broth with crystalized ginger. Serve over Greek yogurt for a special breakfast or over vanilla frozen yogurt for a quick and impressive dessert.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon very thinly sliced crystalized ginger
- 4 ripe, fresh apricots, halved and pitted
- Combine water, brown sugar and ginger in a medium saucepan. Add apricots and bring to a simmer over medium heat; simmer, turning once, until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Remove the apricots with a slotted spoon; increase the heat to high and boil until the liquid is reduced to a syrup, 6 to 8 minutes. Remove the skins from the apricots, if desired, and serve drizzled with the syrup.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 76 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 19 g carbohydrates; 13 g added sugars; 17 g total sugars; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 110 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)