Authentic biscotti are low in fat and easy to make. To achieve the characteristic crisp texture, they are “twice-cooked,” first as a log, then again as slices. These fragrant spiced biscotti are excellent dipped in a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar (or Splenda), cornmeal, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half. With dampened hands, form each piece into a 14-by-1 1/2-inch log. Place the logs side by side on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake until firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
- Slice the logs on the diagonal into cookies 1/2 inch thick. Arrange, cut-side down, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. (Rotate the baking sheets if necessary to ensure even browning.) Transfer the biscotti to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Per biscotti: 34 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per biscotti with Splenda: 0 Carbohydrate Servings; 28 calories; 5 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation