Authentic biscotti are low in fat and easy to make. To achieve the characteristic crisp texture, they are “twice-cooked,” first as a log, then again as slices. These fragrant spiced biscotti are excellent dipped in a steaming cup of tea or coffee.
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar (or Splenda), cornmeal, ginger, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, egg whites, orange zest and orange juice in a large bowl until blended. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Divide the dough in half. With dampened hands, form each piece into a 14-by-1 1/2-inch log. Place the logs side by side on the prepared baking sheet
- Bake until firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on the pan on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 300°.
- Slice the logs on the diagonal into cookies 1/2 inch thick. Arrange, cut-side down, on 2 ungreased baking sheets. Bake until golden brown and crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. (Rotate the baking sheets if necessary to ensure even browning.) Transfer the biscotti to a wire rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Per biscotti: 34 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 8 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 34 mg sodium; 9 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate
Nutrition Note: Per biscotti with Splenda: 0 Carbohydrate Servings; 28 calories; 5 g carbohydrate.
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique