Ginger-Lemon Stack Cake
Three layers of an airy gingerbread with a tart lemon filling between them; this is a dependable, all-occasion cake.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 3/4 cups sifted cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 3 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- To make lemon filling: Have a small bowl ready. Thoroughly whisk together 1/2 cup sugar, eggs, egg whites, lemon zest and lemon juice in a heavy saucepan. Add butter and cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture has thickened and bubbled several times, about 5 minutes. (The lemon filling must be thoroughly thickened but not allowed to scramble.) Immediately transfer to the bowl. Place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until completely chilled.
- To make gingerbread layers: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat three 9-inch nonstick round cake pans with cooking spray; dust them with flour, tapping out the excess. (If the pans are not nonstick, line the bottoms with circles of parchment or wax paper and lightly oil or spray.)
- Sift flour, 3/4 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg into a mixing bowl. Whisk together buttermilk, molasses, egg whites and oil in another bowl; whisk this mixture into the dry ingredients just until blended. Divide the batter among the three prepared pans, spreading it in thin, even layers.
- Place the pans on the middle oven rack. (If they will not all fit, place one on the rack below, switching it with another pan midway through baking.) Bake until the tops spring back when lightly touched in the center, 12 to 15 minutes; do not overbake. Let the cake layers cool in the pans for 3 minutes. Turn them out onto wire racks to cool completely, right-side up, and remove the paper, if used.
- To assemble cake: Place a cake layer on a serving plate. Spread with half of the lemon filling. Repeat with a second cake layer and the remaining lemon filling. Top with the third cake layer.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 271 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 41 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 1 g fiber; 252 mg sodium; 293 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (17% daily value), Folate (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique