Ginger Fried Rice
Leftover rice becomes an instant vegetarian main course with the addition of a few vegetables in this gingery fried rice. Use whatever vegetables you have hanging out in your crisper drawer—the wider variety of colors, the better.
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons prepared stir-fry or oyster sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add scallions and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add rice and peas and stir-fry until hot and beginning to stick to the pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sprouts, stir-fry sauce (or oyster sauce) and the reserved eggs. Toss well, breaking up the eggs, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mung bean sprouts are germinated mung beans, often simply labeled “bean sprouts” at the supermarket. They are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamins A & C (25% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)