Ginger Fried Rice
Leftover rice becomes an instant vegetarian main course with the addition of a few vegetables in this gingery fried rice. Use whatever vegetables you have hanging out in your crisper drawer—the wider variety of colors, the better.
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons prepared stir-fry or oyster sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add scallions and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add rice and peas and stir-fry until hot and beginning to stick to the pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sprouts, stir-fry sauce (or oyster sauce) and the reserved eggs. Toss well, breaking up the eggs, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mung bean sprouts are germinated mung beans, often simply labeled “bean sprouts” at the supermarket. They are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamins A & C (25% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique