Ginger Fried Rice
Leftover rice becomes an instant vegetarian main course with the addition of a few vegetables in this gingery fried rice. Use whatever vegetables you have hanging out in your crisper drawer—the wider variety of colors, the better.
- 3 teaspoons peanut oil, divided
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 bunch scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 3 cups cold cooked long-grain brown rice
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup mung bean sprouts, (see Note)
- 3 tablespoons prepared stir-fry or oyster sauce
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and cook, stirring, until scrambled. Transfer to a plate; set aside. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the wok. Add scallions and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add rice and peas and stir-fry until hot and beginning to stick to the pan, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sprouts, stir-fry sauce (or oyster sauce) and the reserved eggs. Toss well, breaking up the eggs, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Mung bean sprouts are germinated mung beans, often simply labeled “bean sprouts” at the supermarket. They are white with a light yellow tip and are thicker than more common alfalfa sprouts.
Per serving: 319 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 212 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 14 g protein; 5 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 286 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamins A & C (25% daily value), Folate (19% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 medium-fat meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Quick (total 30 min. or less)
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique