Gingery flavor and a subtle lemon note make these crisp cookies perfect with tea. They also make great ââdunking'' cookies.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or coat with cooking spray.
- Cream oil, butter, sugar, egg and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Sift together flour, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each portion on a floured surface to a thickness of slightly more than 1/16 inch. Sprinkle with the sugar (if desired), lightly pressing it in with the rolling pin. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove cookies to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 58 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique