Gingery flavor and a subtle lemon note make these crisp cookies perfect with tea. They also make great ââdunking'' cookies.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or coat with cooking spray.
- Cream oil, butter, sugar, egg and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Sift together flour, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each portion on a floured surface to a thickness of slightly more than 1/16 inch. Sprinkle with the sugar (if desired), lightly pressing it in with the rolling pin. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove cookies to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 58 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique