Gingery flavor and a subtle lemon note make these crisp cookies perfect with tea. They also make great ââdunking'' cookies.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or coat with cooking spray.
- Cream oil, butter, sugar, egg and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Sift together flour, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each portion on a floured surface to a thickness of slightly more than 1/16 inch. Sprinkle with the sugar (if desired), lightly pressing it in with the rolling pin. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove cookies to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 58 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique