Gingery flavor and a subtle lemon note make these crisp cookies perfect with tea. They also make great ââdunking'' cookies.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or coat with cooking spray.
- Cream oil, butter, sugar, egg and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Sift together flour, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each portion on a floured surface to a thickness of slightly more than 1/16 inch. Sprinkle with the sugar (if desired), lightly pressing it in with the rolling pin. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove cookies to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 58 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique