Gingery flavor and a subtle lemon note make these crisp cookies perfect with tea. They also make great ââdunking'' cookies.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar for sprinkling, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment or coat with cooking spray.
- Cream oil, butter, sugar, egg and lemon zest in a large bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Sift together flour, cornstarch, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until combined.
- Divide dough into 2 portions. Roll out each portion on a floured surface to a thickness of slightly more than 1/16 inch. Sprinkle with the sugar (if desired), lightly pressing it in with the rolling pin. Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter and place 1/4 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake one sheet at a time until lightly colored, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 2 minutes, then remove cookies to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 58 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 8 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 53 mg sodium; 30 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique