From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Deep purple blueberries combined with fresh ginger make this blueberry sorbet recipe beautiful and zingy. And, as a bonus, the blueberries deliver a punch of antioxidants and are a great source of Vitamin K.
- 4 cups blueberries (about 1 1/4 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Puree blueberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine water, lemon juice, ginger and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 90 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...
These recipes for instant appetizers use 5 ingredients or...
Many holiday celebrations include festive drinks, and we’ve...
These festive holiday appetizers are tried-and-true cocktail...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- July/August 2013