From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Deep purple blueberries combined with fresh ginger make this blueberry sorbet recipe beautiful and zingy. And, as a bonus, the blueberries deliver a punch of antioxidants and are a great source of Vitamin K.
- 4 cups blueberries (about 1 1/4 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Puree blueberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine water, lemon juice, ginger and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 90 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- July/August 2013