From EatingWell: July/August 2013
Deep purple blueberries combined with fresh ginger make this blueberry sorbet recipe beautiful and zingy. And, as a bonus, the blueberries deliver a punch of antioxidants and are a great source of Vitamin K.
- 4 cups blueberries (about 1 1/4 pounds), fresh or frozen (see Tips)
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Puree blueberries in a food processor until smooth.
- Combine water, lemon juice, ginger and water in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tips.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tips: If using frozen fruit, measure it frozen and then thaw before pureeing.
- If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 90 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 8 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 82 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013