Ginger Baked Apples with Oats & Pecans
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Think of these baked apples as individual apple crisps. Use apples that get nice and soft when they’re cooked. Try serving it with a splash of dark rum and a dollop of fat-free Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 McIntosh, Cortland or Empire apples
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stem and core of apples with a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Combine oats, sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup cider and ginger in a small bowl. Fill each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the filling and place in an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cider around the apples. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake the apples until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the apples are very soft but still hold together, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012