Ginger Baked Apples with Oats & Pecans
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Think of these baked apples as individual apple crisps. Use apples that get nice and soft when they’re cooked. Try serving it with a splash of dark rum and a dollop of fat-free Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 McIntosh, Cortland or Empire apples
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stem and core of apples with a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Combine oats, sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup cider and ginger in a small bowl. Fill each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the filling and place in an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cider around the apples. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake the apples until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the apples are very soft but still hold together, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2012