Ginger Baked Apples with Oats & Pecans
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Think of these baked apples as individual apple crisps. Use apples that get nice and soft when they’re cooked. Try serving it with a splash of dark rum and a dollop of fat-free Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 McIntosh, Cortland or Empire apples
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stem and core of apples with a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Combine oats, sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup cider and ginger in a small bowl. Fill each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the filling and place in an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cider around the apples. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake the apples until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the apples are very soft but still hold together, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- September/October 2012