Ginger Baked Apples with Oats & Pecans
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Think of these baked apples as individual apple crisps. Use apples that get nice and soft when they’re cooked. Try serving it with a splash of dark rum and a dollop of fat-free Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 McIntosh, Cortland or Empire apples
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stem and core of apples with a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Combine oats, sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup cider and ginger in a small bowl. Fill each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the filling and place in an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cider around the apples. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake the apples until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the apples are very soft but still hold together, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012