Ginger Baked Apples with Oats & Pecans
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
Think of these baked apples as individual apple crisps. Use apples that get nice and soft when they’re cooked. Try serving it with a splash of dark rum and a dollop of fat-free Greek-style yogurt.
- 4 McIntosh, Cortland or Empire apples
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup apple cider, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Remove the stem and core of apples with a melon baller, leaving the bottoms intact.
- Combine oats, sugar, pecans, 1/4 cup cider and ginger in a small bowl. Fill each apple with about 2 tablespoons of the filling and place in an 8-inch-square (or similar-size) baking dish. Pour the remaining 1/2 cup cider around the apples. Cover the dish with foil.
- Bake the apples until tender, about 20 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until the apples are very soft but still hold together, 10 to 15 minutes more. Let cool about 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 253 calories; 6 g fat (0 g sat, 3 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 19 g added sugars; 2 g protein; 5 g fiber; 8 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 fruit, 1 carbohydrate (other), 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, other
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012