General Tso’s Chicken
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy version of a General Tso’s Chicken recipe, we cut the fat and sodium in half from the original version by not frying the chicken and by using half as much soy sauce in this Chinese-takeout favorite. Serve with steamed baby bok choy or sautéed spinach and steamed brown rice.
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups snow peas
- Combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry) and egg white in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon each cornstarch, soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry), water, hoisin and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken; cook without turning, breaking up stuck-together pieces, until golden on the bottom, 2 minutes. Stir; continue cooking until golden on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add peas; cook, stirring often, until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 364 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (66% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A, Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 2013