General Tso’s Chicken
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy version of a General Tso’s Chicken recipe, we cut the fat and sodium in half from the original version by not frying the chicken and by using half as much soy sauce in this Chinese-takeout favorite. Serve with steamed baby bok choy or sautéed spinach and steamed brown rice.
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups snow peas
- Combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry) and egg white in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon each cornstarch, soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry), water, hoisin and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken; cook without turning, breaking up stuck-together pieces, until golden on the bottom, 2 minutes. Stir; continue cooking until golden on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add peas; cook, stirring often, until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 364 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (66% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A, Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2013