General Tso’s Chicken
From EatingWell: November/December 2013
In this healthy version of a General Tso’s Chicken recipe, we cut the fat and sodium in half from the original version by not frying the chicken and by using half as much soy sauce in this Chinese-takeout favorite. Serve with steamed baby bok choy or sautéed spinach and steamed brown rice.
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce, divided
- 2 tablespoons Chinese rice wine or dry sherry, divided
- 1 large egg white
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups snow peas
- Combine 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry) and egg white in a bowl. Add chicken and stir to coat.
- Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon each cornstarch, soy sauce and rice wine (or sherry), water, hoisin and rice vinegar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a wok or large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the chicken; cook without turning, breaking up stuck-together pieces, until golden on the bottom, 2 minutes. Stir; continue cooking until golden on all sides, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, scallions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Add peas; cook, stirring often, until bright green, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the reserved sauce mixture; cook, stirring, until thick, about 1 minute. Return the chicken to the pan; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more.
Per serving: 364 calories; 19 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 76 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 2 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 2 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (66% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A, Zinc (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ring in the new year with low-calorie recipes from our new issue...
Jump-start your morning with our healthy, low-calorie...
A perfectly ripe avocado is the perfect addition to salads,...
It’s time for the avocado to shake its bad rap: sinfully...
Celebrate the holiday season with low-calorie recipes from our...
Skip the super-greasy fried food and creamy dips and go for...
Make a healthy snack for kids with one of our easy snack...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Eating healthy snacks is a good way to stave off hunger pangs...
Spaghetti and Meatballs is a classic, comforting Italian...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Resolve to eat healthier? No matter how busy you are, get in...
Breakfast is the most important meal—giving you a much-needed...
People who are most successful at losing weight—and keeping...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- November/December 2013