Gateau de Sirop
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This easy cake recipe by Cajun food authority Marcelle Bienvenu is studded with pecans and is typical of Cajun cooking—it’s rustic, humble and made with ingredients that are always on hand. Serve this easy cake recipe for breakfast with cafe au lait or as a simple dessert accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream. Cane syrup comes from cane juice that has been cooked until it’s golden and toasty-flavored. You can use molasses or honey in its place.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure cane syrup, such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 7-by-11-inch (or 9-inch round) metal baking pan in the oven to heat.
- Beat egg in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add syrup, white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt; mix well to blend. Stir in butter. Combine boiling water and baking soda in a bowl, then pour into the batter; stir just to combine. Carefully coat the preheated pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached to it, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 26 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012