Gateau de Sirop
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This easy cake recipe by Cajun food authority Marcelle Bienvenu is studded with pecans and is typical of Cajun cooking—it’s rustic, humble and made with ingredients that are always on hand. Serve this easy cake recipe for breakfast with cafe au lait or as a simple dessert accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream. Cane syrup comes from cane juice that has been cooked until it’s golden and toasty-flavored. You can use molasses or honey in its place.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure cane syrup, such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 7-by-11-inch (or 9-inch round) metal baking pan in the oven to heat.
- Beat egg in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add syrup, white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt; mix well to blend. Stir in butter. Combine boiling water and baking soda in a bowl, then pour into the batter; stir just to combine. Carefully coat the preheated pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached to it, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 26 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012