Gateau de Sirop
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This easy cake recipe by Cajun food authority Marcelle Bienvenu is studded with pecans and is typical of Cajun cooking—it’s rustic, humble and made with ingredients that are always on hand. Serve this easy cake recipe for breakfast with cafe au lait or as a simple dessert accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream. Cane syrup comes from cane juice that has been cooked until it’s golden and toasty-flavored. You can use molasses or honey in its place.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure cane syrup, such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 7-by-11-inch (or 9-inch round) metal baking pan in the oven to heat.
- Beat egg in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add syrup, white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt; mix well to blend. Stir in butter. Combine boiling water and baking soda in a bowl, then pour into the batter; stir just to combine. Carefully coat the preheated pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached to it, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 26 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012