Gateau de Sirop
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This easy cake recipe by Cajun food authority Marcelle Bienvenu is studded with pecans and is typical of Cajun cooking—it’s rustic, humble and made with ingredients that are always on hand. Serve this easy cake recipe for breakfast with cafe au lait or as a simple dessert accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream. Cane syrup comes from cane juice that has been cooked until it’s golden and toasty-flavored. You can use molasses or honey in its place.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure cane syrup, such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 7-by-11-inch (or 9-inch round) metal baking pan in the oven to heat.
- Beat egg in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add syrup, white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt; mix well to blend. Stir in butter. Combine boiling water and baking soda in a bowl, then pour into the batter; stir just to combine. Carefully coat the preheated pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached to it, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 26 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2012