Gateau de Sirop
From EatingWell: September/October 2012
This easy cake recipe by Cajun food authority Marcelle Bienvenu is studded with pecans and is typical of Cajun cooking—it’s rustic, humble and made with ingredients that are always on hand. Serve this easy cake recipe for breakfast with cafe au lait or as a simple dessert accompanied by whipped cream or ice cream. Cane syrup comes from cane juice that has been cooked until it’s golden and toasty-flavored. You can use molasses or honey in its place.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup pure cane syrup, such as Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Whipped cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place a 7-by-11-inch (or 9-inch round) metal baking pan in the oven to heat.
- Beat egg in a large heatproof mixing bowl. Add syrup, white whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt; mix well to blend. Stir in butter. Combine boiling water and baking soda in a bowl, then pour into the batter; stir just to combine. Carefully coat the preheated pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the pan. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake the cake until a knife inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached to it, 30 to 32 minutes. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap cooled cake airtight and keep at room temperature for up to 2 days
Per serving: 327 calories; 13 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 31 mg cholesterol; 51 g carbohydrates; 26 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 162 mg sodium; 97 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Iron (18% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- September/October 2012