From EatingWell: July/August 1992
At first glance, the amount of garlic in this recipe may seem a little alarming, but the technique of simmering the garlic in wine tempers its bite. Toss this full-bodied dressing with romaine lettuce, add crisp croutons and enjoy a healthful alternative to Caesar salad.
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- Combine garlic and wine in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until the garlic cloves are tender, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer the garlic and cooking liquid to a blender or food processor. Add vinegar, broth, oil and mustard; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
Per tablespoon: 19 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 36 mg sodium; 17 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- 8 or more
- Entertaining, casual
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- July/August 1992