Garlic-Roasted Pork (Pernil)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Though traditional Puerto Rican cuisine may favor fatty cuts of pork with the skin on, lean cuts like pork loin are just as delicious with the intense garlic rub in this recipe. Serve warm with Island Red Beans and rice. Leftover slices make a good sandwich.
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 2-pound boneless pork loin, trimmed
- Combine garlic, oil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Rub pork all over with the seasoning mix and wrap tightly with plastic wrap or place in a large sealable plastic bag. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pork from the plastic and place in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 145°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day ahead.
Per serving: 203 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 361 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007