Garlic-Roasted Pork (Pernil)
From EatingWell: September/October 2007
Though traditional Puerto Rican cuisine may favor fatty cuts of pork with the skin on, lean cuts like pork loin are just as delicious with the intense garlic rub in this recipe. Serve warm with Island Red Beans and rice. Leftover slices make a good sandwich.
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 2-pound boneless pork loin, trimmed
- Combine garlic, oil, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor or blender and puree. Rub pork all over with the seasoning mix and wrap tightly with plastic wrap or place in a large sealable plastic bag. Let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes or up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Remove the pork from the plastic and place in a shallow roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center registers 145°F, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Let rest for 10 minutes, then slice and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 1 up to 1 day ahead.
Per serving: 203 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 337 mg sodium; 361 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (40% daily value).
Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- September/October 2007