From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This method of cooking yogurt, an egg and a little cornstarch produces a low-fat mayonnaise that is much closer to traditional homemade mayo than anything you can buy.
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Mash garlic and salt with the side of a chef’s knife. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) You should have about 1 tablespoon mashed garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens; do not let it boil. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in reserved garlic, oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before using.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1997