From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This method of cooking yogurt, an egg and a little cornstarch produces a low-fat mayonnaise that is much closer to traditional homemade mayo than anything you can buy.
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Mash garlic and salt with the side of a chef’s knife. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) You should have about 1 tablespoon mashed garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens; do not let it boil. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in reserved garlic, oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before using.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1997