From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This method of cooking yogurt, an egg and a little cornstarch produces a low-fat mayonnaise that is much closer to traditional homemade mayo than anything you can buy.
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Mash garlic and salt with the side of a chef’s knife. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) You should have about 1 tablespoon mashed garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens; do not let it boil. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in reserved garlic, oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before using.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1997