From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This method of cooking yogurt, an egg and a little cornstarch produces a low-fat mayonnaise that is much closer to traditional homemade mayo than anything you can buy.
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Mash garlic and salt with the side of a chef’s knife. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) You should have about 1 tablespoon mashed garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens; do not let it boil. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in reserved garlic, oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before using.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- March/April 1997