From EatingWell: March/April 1997
This method of cooking yogurt, an egg and a little cornstarch produces a low-fat mayonnaise that is much closer to traditional homemade mayo than anything you can buy.
- 4 cloves garlic,peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, or to taste
- Mash garlic and salt with the side of a chef’s knife. (Alternatively, mash garlic and salt in a mortar with a pestle.) You should have about 1 tablespoon mashed garlic. Set aside.
- Whisk together yogurt, egg and cornstarch in a heavy medium saucepan. Set over medium-low heat and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens; do not let it boil. Transfer to a small bowl. Whisk in reserved garlic, oil and lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasonings. Press a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days; whisk briefly before using.
Per tablespoon: 22 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 2 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 48 mg sodium; 7 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- March/April 1997