Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
What could be more satisfying than mashed potatoes? The challenge lies in making them rich and creamy without an excess of butter and cream. In this version, the potatoes are flavored with poached garlic, thinned with chicken stock and enriched with a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer (do not use a food processor). Add enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep the potatoes warm until serving time, set the pan or serving bowl in a larger pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper over the surface of the potatoes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1994