Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
What could be more satisfying than mashed potatoes? The challenge lies in making them rich and creamy without an excess of butter and cream. In this version, the potatoes are flavored with poached garlic, thinned with chicken stock and enriched with a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer (do not use a food processor). Add enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep the potatoes warm until serving time, set the pan or serving bowl in a larger pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper over the surface of the potatoes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 1994