Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
What could be more satisfying than mashed potatoes? The challenge lies in making them rich and creamy without an excess of butter and cream. In this version, the potatoes are flavored with poached garlic, thinned with chicken stock and enriched with a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer (do not use a food processor). Add enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep the potatoes warm until serving time, set the pan or serving bowl in a larger pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper over the surface of the potatoes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1994