Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
What could be more satisfying than mashed potatoes? The challenge lies in making them rich and creamy without an excess of butter and cream. In this version, the potatoes are flavored with poached garlic, thinned with chicken stock and enriched with a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer (do not use a food processor). Add enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep the potatoes warm until serving time, set the pan or serving bowl in a larger pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper over the surface of the potatoes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- November/December 1994