Garlic Mashed Potatoes
From EatingWell: November/December 1994
What could be more satisfying than mashed potatoes? The challenge lies in making them rich and creamy without an excess of butter and cream. In this version, the potatoes are flavored with poached garlic, thinned with chicken stock and enriched with a small amount of reduced-fat sour cream. The recipe can easily be doubled or tripled.
- 2 pounds all-purpose potatoes, preferably Yukon Gold (4-6 potatoes), peeled and cut into chunks
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2-3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth, heated
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- Place potatoes and garlic in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Add salt and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, over medium heat until the potatoes are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pan. Shake the pan over low heat to dry the potatoes slightly. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher or an electric mixer (do not use a food processor). Add enough hot broth to make a smooth puree. Stir in sour cream and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: To keep the potatoes warm until serving time, set the pan or serving bowl in a larger pan of barely simmering water and place a piece of parchment or wax paper over the surface of the potatoes.
Per serving: 204 calories; 1 g fat (1 g sat, 0 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 45 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 613 mg sodium; 727 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (29% daily value), Potassium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1994