Garlic Creamed Chard
From EatingWell: December 2006
Our lightened, garlic-infused cream sauce is perfect with tender chard. Try this creamy dish alongside broiled New York strip steak.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chard stems and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in chard leaves and cook, stirring constantly, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook, stirring once, until tender, about 2 minutes more. Transfer to a colander placed in the sink and press with a wooden spoon to remove excess liquid. Return the chard to the pot, cover and keep warm.
- Place garlic and butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until the garlic is fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Whisk in flour and cook until bubbling, about 30 seconds. Add milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg; cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir the chard into the sauce and serve immediately.
Tips & Notes
- Note: After washing the chard for these recipes, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Per serving: 136 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 10 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 2 g fiber; 367 mg sodium; 689 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin K (463% daily value), Vitamin A (140% dv), Vitamin C (35% dv), Magnesium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 2006