Garlic-Chile Flank Steak
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Serve this great-tasting, tender steak as part of a taco party or with a mixed green salad and sliced avocados.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Whisk garlic, vinegar, oil, ground chile, oregano, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Place steak in a shallow baking dish and pour marinade over it, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning once, or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak until desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steak in the refrigerator for up to 1 day and/or refrigerate cooked steak for up to 1 day. Slice just before serving.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Ancho chile peppers, one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico, are dried poblano peppers. They have a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Ground ancho chile pepper can be found in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets, or substitute ground chili powder with a pinch of cayenne.
Per serving: 105 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 0 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 137 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Entertaining, formal
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- June/July 2005