Garlic-Chile Flank Steak
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Serve this great-tasting, tender steak as part of a taco party or with a mixed green salad and sliced avocados.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Whisk garlic, vinegar, oil, ground chile, oregano, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Place steak in a shallow baking dish and pour marinade over it, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning once, or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak until desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steak in the refrigerator for up to 1 day and/or refrigerate cooked steak for up to 1 day. Slice just before serving.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Ancho chile peppers, one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico, are dried poblano peppers. They have a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Ground ancho chile pepper can be found in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets, or substitute ground chili powder with a pinch of cayenne.
Per serving: 105 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 0 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 137 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- June/July 2005
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)