Garlic-Chile Flank Steak
From EatingWell: June/July 2005
Serve this great-tasting, tender steak as part of a taco party or with a mixed green salad and sliced avocados.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons ground ancho chile pepper, (see Ingredient note)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1 1/4 pounds flank steak, trimmed of fat
- Whisk garlic, vinegar, oil, ground chile, oregano, cumin and salt in a small bowl. Place steak in a shallow baking dish and pour marinade over it, turning to coat both sides. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, turning once, or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high heat. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Grill the steak until desired doneness, 5 to 6 minutes per side for medium. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the steak very thinly across the grain. Serve warm or chilled.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Marinate steak in the refrigerator for up to 1 day and/or refrigerate cooked steak for up to 1 day. Slice just before serving.
- To oil a grill: Oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Ingredient note: Ancho chile peppers, one of the most popular dried chiles used in Mexico, are dried poblano peppers. They have a mild, sweet, spicy flavor. Ground ancho chile pepper can be found in the specialty-spice section of large supermarkets, or substitute ground chili powder with a pinch of cayenne.
Per serving: 105 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 22 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 11 g protein; 0 g fiber; 28 mg sodium; 137 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Entertaining, formal
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- June/July 2005