Garlic Chicken for Two
From EatingWell: May/June 2012
The whole cloves of garlic turn mild and buttery when they’re simmered with chicken in a simple white wine-mustard sauce in this garlic chicken recipe for two. Serve with mashed potatoes and green beans.
- 1 head garlic, cloves separated
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1 1/4 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons white wine
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Lightly smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to loosen the skins. Peel; cut the large ones in half. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the chicken to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn it over and return the garlic to the pan. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk broth, mustard, flour and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through and the garlic is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve the chicken with the sauce, sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 345 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 1 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 430 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- May/June 2012