From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Whole garlic cloves are mild when simmered with chicken in a simple white wine-mustard sauce in this garlic chicken recipe. Serve with smashed potatoes with buttermilk and sautéed green beans.
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Lightly smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to loosen the skins. Peel; cut larger ones in half. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn it over and return the garlic to the pan. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk broth, mustard, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 343 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- May/June 2012