From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Whole garlic cloves are mild when simmered with chicken in a simple white wine-mustard sauce in this garlic chicken recipe. Serve with smashed potatoes with buttermilk and sautéed green beans.
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Lightly smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to loosen the skins. Peel; cut larger ones in half. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn it over and return the garlic to the pan. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk broth, mustard, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 343 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- May/June 2012