From EatingWell: May/June 2012
Whole garlic cloves are mild when simmered with chicken in a simple white wine-mustard sauce in this garlic chicken recipe. Serve with smashed potatoes with buttermilk and sautéed green beans.
- 2 heads garlic, cloves separated
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives or scallion greens
- Lightly smash garlic cloves with the side of a large knife to loosen the skins. Peel; cut larger ones in half. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Remove to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook until browned on one side, about 4 minutes. Turn it over and return the garlic to the pan. Add wine and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk broth, mustard, flour and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Add the mixture to the pan; bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a lively simmer. Cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve sprinkled with chives (or scallion greens).
Per serving: 343 calories; 17 g fat (3 g sat, 10 g mono); 108 mg cholesterol; 7 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 35 g protein; 0 g fiber; 576 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (27% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate (other), 4 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Poultry, other
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- May/June 2012