Fusilli with Yellow Squash & Grape Tomatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
For this healthy and quick pasta recipe, corkscrew-shaped pasta, fusilli, is tossed with silky sautéed summer squash, ripe red tomatoes and fresh thyme. Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 12 ounces fusilli or other corkscrew-shaped pasta
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if the yellow squash has a “crookneck,” cut off the neck, halve it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices; quarter the wider part lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. If the squash is shaped like a zucchini, quarter it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- When the onion is lightly brown, add the squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the squash releases most of its liquid and begins to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 311 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C 36% daily value), Folate (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- September/October 2014