Fusilli with Yellow Squash & Grape Tomatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
For this healthy and quick pasta recipe, corkscrew-shaped pasta, fusilli, is tossed with silky sautéed summer squash, ripe red tomatoes and fresh thyme. Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 12 ounces fusilli or other corkscrew-shaped pasta
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if the yellow squash has a “crookneck,” cut off the neck, halve it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices; quarter the wider part lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. If the squash is shaped like a zucchini, quarter it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- When the onion is lightly brown, add the squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the squash releases most of its liquid and begins to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 311 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C 36% daily value), Folate (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014