Fusilli with Yellow Squash & Grape Tomatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
For this healthy and quick pasta recipe, corkscrew-shaped pasta, fusilli, is tossed with silky sautéed summer squash, ripe red tomatoes and fresh thyme. Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 12 ounces fusilli or other corkscrew-shaped pasta
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if the yellow squash has a “crookneck,” cut off the neck, halve it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices; quarter the wider part lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. If the squash is shaped like a zucchini, quarter it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- When the onion is lightly brown, add the squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the squash releases most of its liquid and begins to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 311 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C 36% daily value), Folate (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014