Fusilli with Yellow Squash & Grape Tomatoes
From EatingWell: September/October 2014
For this healthy and quick pasta recipe, corkscrew-shaped pasta, fusilli, is tossed with silky sautéed summer squash, ripe red tomatoes and fresh thyme. Serve with a green salad with vinaigrette and crusty whole-grain bread.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 pound yellow summer squash
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus 1 tablespoon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (about 6 ounces), halved lengthwise
- 12 ounces fusilli or other corkscrew-shaped pasta
- Put 2 quarts of water on to boil in a large pot.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly brown, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, if the yellow squash has a “crookneck,” cut off the neck, halve it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices; quarter the wider part lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices. If the squash is shaped like a zucchini, quarter it lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices.
- When the onion is lightly brown, add the squash, thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until the squash releases most of its liquid and begins to brown, 7 to 10 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until they begin to break down, 4 to 6 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, add the remaining 1 tablespoon salt to the boiling water, stir in pasta and cook according to package instructions until just tender. Drain well and toss with the sauce. Serve at once.
Per serving: 311 calories; 9 g fat (1 g sat, 6 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g total sugars; 10 g protein; 4 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 407 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C 36% daily value), Folate (34% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- September/October 2014