Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
A can of lentil soup is a the basis for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fusilli
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add lentil soup and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 473 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 79 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 12 g fiber; 837 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (48% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999