Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
A can of lentil soup is a the basis for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fusilli
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add lentil soup and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 473 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 79 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 12 g fiber; 837 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (48% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999