Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
A can of lentil soup is a the basis for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fusilli
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add lentil soup and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 473 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 79 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 12 g fiber; 837 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (48% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999