Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
A can of lentil soup is a the basis for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fusilli
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add lentil soup and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 473 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 79 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 12 g fiber; 837 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (48% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999