Fusilli with Lentils, Sausage & Tomatoes
From EatingWell: January/February 1999
A can of lentil soup is a the basis for this quick pasta dish.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 19-ounce can lentil soup
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil, or parsley
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces fusilli
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking up clumps with a fork, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add lentil soup and tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil (or parsley) and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with sauce and serve.
Per serving: 473 calories; 8 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 79 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 21 g protein; 12 g fiber; 837 mg sodium; 346 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (48% daily value), Iron (30% dv), Vitamin A & C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1999