Fusilli with Lentils & Kale
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Lentils give this sauce a meaty feel, making it an interesting alternative to long-simmered old-fashioned sauces. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth, omit the prosciutto and add about 8 chopped dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- 1/2 cup green lentils, preferably French LePuy lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, trimmed and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or a pinch dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves, (1/2 bunch)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat rotini, or fusilli
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic and prosciutto, and sauté until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, lentils, rosemary and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and kale, return to a simmer, cover and cook until the lentils and kale are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook rotini or fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender firm,10 to 12 minutes. Drain and place in a large, shallow bowl. Add the lentil sauce and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings and serve immediately with Parmesan.
Per serving: 416 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 78 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 449 mg sodium; 413 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (173% daily value), Vitamin A (95% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992