Fusilli with Lentils & Kale
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Lentils give this sauce a meaty feel, making it an interesting alternative to long-simmered old-fashioned sauces. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth, omit the prosciutto and add about 8 chopped dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- 1/2 cup green lentils, preferably French LePuy lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, trimmed and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or a pinch dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves, (1/2 bunch)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat rotini, or fusilli
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic and prosciutto, and sauté until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, lentils, rosemary and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and kale, return to a simmer, cover and cook until the lentils and kale are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook rotini or fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender firm,10 to 12 minutes. Drain and place in a large, shallow bowl. Add the lentil sauce and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings and serve immediately with Parmesan.
Per serving: 416 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 78 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 449 mg sodium; 413 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (173% daily value), Vitamin A (95% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992