Fusilli with Lentils & Kale
From EatingWell: May/June 1992
Lentils give this sauce a meaty feel, making it an interesting alternative to long-simmered old-fashioned sauces. For a vegetarian version, substitute vegetable broth for chicken broth, omit the prosciutto and add about 8 chopped dried tomatoes to the sauce.
- 1/2 cup green lentils, preferably French LePuy lentils
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces prosciutto, trimmed and chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or a pinch dried
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 28-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale leaves, (1/2 bunch)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat rotini, or fusilli
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place lentils in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water; bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions, carrots, garlic and prosciutto, and sauté until the vegetables are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, lentils, rosemary and thyme and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Add tomatoes and kale, return to a simmer, cover and cook until the lentils and kale are tender, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook rotini or fusilli in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender firm,10 to 12 minutes. Drain and place in a large, shallow bowl. Add the lentil sauce and toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings and serve immediately with Parmesan.
Per serving: 416 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 78 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 449 mg sodium; 413 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (173% daily value), Vitamin A (95% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 very lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1992